Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Pet Peeves

One of my long standing pet peeves is the fact that the media, which pretty much refers to the Salina Journal, KSAL news, and to some extent, KINA radio news, does no investigative work into local events. They simply show up at the Police Department in the morning, and let the cops tell them what is news.

I listen to the police scanner a lot of times in the evening, and now I am hooked on looking at the Saline County Sheriff's office website every morning to see who got booked in the prior 24 hours. So many times I hear things or see things that never get reported in our local media.

As I was gandering at the booking activity this morning, I see that one Timothy Hurt was booked into the jail on a charge of possessing ephedrine, a necessary precursor to manufacturing methamphetamine. This is a serious charge and carries a prison sentence of from 138 months to 204 months.

If my memory serves me right, within the last year or so Mr. Hurt was arrested along with a few others in a manufacturing case. He received probation and his co-defendent got a bunch of prison time!

http://www.salina.com/Story/Gets---probation---3-10-08

I see that Melynda Hurt also was arrested yesterday (8/25/08) on probation charges. This is probably the same person the above story references as Melynda Edwards-Wilson. She also received probation on the prior manufacturing bust.

I haven't seen anything in the local media about this story yet, but there sure was a funny little ditty about how the drug task force, while serving warrants in the trailer park on North 13th busted some guys throwing drugs out the back window thinking they were the ones being served the warrants!

Mr. Hurt was also arrested at the trailer park on North 13th...wonder if there is any connection?

No comments: